Turkish Policy Quarterly (TPQ) is currently looking for a talented, articulate, and motivated member to join the TPQ team.
TPQ is an Istanbul-based journal fostering original thinking and constructive policy debates on Turkey and its neighborhood since 2002. The journal’s editorial scope includes topics related to regional geopolitics, governance and democratization, security, and economic development. Since 2019, we have expanded that to include cybersecurity, global finance and trade, climate change, and developments in aerospace. As one of the few independent outlets in Turkey, TPQ is non-partisan and has a track record of including diverse perspectives and encouraging critical opinions on every topic it covers.
The Managing Editor is responsible for managing the journal’s printing process, general coordination of the office team, institutional and media relationships, events, and outreach and communications. The Managing Editor is expected to work closely with the Editor in Chief on developing journal content and assist the Administrative Supervisor on institutional matters.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinating the office team’s work with the Editor in Chief and the Administrative Assistant
- Managing the printing process schedule of the journal; communicating with the printing house and journal designer for a coordinated release of each issue
- Coordinating and managing the IT team to ensure that products are designed on time
- Meeting with sponsors to explore their expectations and prepare actions according to their needs
- Assisting in the carrying out of events and projects
- Preparing all content that is uploaded to TPQ’s website and ensuring it is uploaded in a timely manner
- Managing the TPQ mailing group and preparing weekly progress reports
- Assisting in the correspondence with high profile names that will contribute to the journal
- Updating TPQ’s main information files
- Overseeing interns – orienting them, managing their areas of input, and being responsible for their output
- Maximizing TPQ’s outreach potential
- Setting goals regarding subscriptions and sponsorships
- Keeping track of all local events that TPQ’s could be distributed at
- Managing journal subscriptions and playing an active role in increasing the subscriber base
- Strategizing and implementing a media plan after the release of an issue
- Bilingual proficiency in both Turkish and English; clear articulation and thorough knowledge of both languages’ grammar and usage
- At least 3-5 years of experience in one or more of the following areas: civil society, think tank policy analysis, journalism, or the like
- A minimum bachelor’s degree in International Relations, Political Science, Economics, or Journalism
- Firm grasp of foreign policy issues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as interpersonal skills
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with using social media
- Strong ability to multi-task and consistently meet deadlines
- Please send a complete CV and one page cover letter (in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org and use the following subject line: “Application for TPQ Managing Editor Position.” The deadline for applications is 25 April 2021.
We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only those candidates shortlisted for the interview process will be contacted.